somerville.zipfile on your computer and press 'Install Now',
somerville' folder into '
themes' folder in your WordPress installation (
1) You need to install and activate required plugins.You can do this by visiting Appearance » Install Plugins inside wp-admin.
2) theme is compatible with 'Gutenberg' plugin; we recommend to install/activate this plugin too.
1. After theme activation go to Appearance > Install Plugins, and install and activate Redux Framework plugin!
2. Then go to Somerville - admin panel
and hit "Save Changes" button to set default style settings:
You can change styling options later.
2. Following message may be visible after theme activation:
Click on 'Begin activating plugins' link and install and activate 'Redux Framework' (if not installed yet) and 'Shortcode Ultimate' plugins. Or you can do this by visiting Appearance » Install Plugins
4. IMPORTANT! It is possible that after theme activation are images wrongly cropped and look ugly! In this case use following plugin: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/regenerate-thumbnails/ to regenerate old thumbnails (from previous theme).
After plugin installation start regeneration in Tools > Regen. Thumbnails. This process can take a while and you cannot close tab/window until regeneration is done.
Setup is very easy and intuitive. These steps are required to create a custom journal layout:
1) Creating few posts (set featured image for these posts)
2) Homepage setup (empty homepage)
3) Setup of the 'Homepage Section' in Appearance > Widgets (using homepage widgets)
I recommend to create few classic blog posts before you start creating homepage (journal) layout. Set 'featured images' for all your posts.
Theme comes with extensive options panel with functions divided to these sections:
Theme comes with few custom widgets (marked as -Themnific).
Go to Appearance > Widgets and setup your sidebar and footer widget areas. Widgets are very easy to setup. Just follow and set partial widgets fields.
Note: widgets marked as 'for homepage' are suitable for 'Homepage Section' only!
Following widgets are used in theme demo:
As you can see, in theme demo are used custom widgets which come with 3dr party plugins (Twitter, Newsletter etc.).
Please see 'Plugins' chapter for more info about these plugins.
IMPORTANT! It is possible that after theme activation are images wrongly cropped and look ugly!
In this case use this plugin: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/regenerate-thumbnails/ to regenerate old thumbnails from previous theme.
After plugin installation start regeneration in Tools > Regen. Thumbnails This process can take a while and you cannot close tab/window until regeneration is done.
Images and thumbnails are generated automatically.
To display thumbnails correctly upload images via WP interface using "Set featured image" button.
After image upload set featured image.
In post add/edit screen is located custom 'Themnific Post Options' tab. You can disable 'Featured Image' on single post page in this tab.
! Create own custom menus first! Please see following tutorial !
1. Create another custom menu (in Appearance > Menus) and add any pages / links into it.
2. go into Appearance > Widgets and using 'Navigation Menu' widget display this menu in Sidebar (Pages); (current page will be highlighted).
1. Before (or after) menu label add this piece of code
<i class="fa XXX"></i>
Enter full icon code - 'fa' class is required.
2. For XXX you can set any icon name. You can find all icon names on Font Awesome homepage.
3. You can see how-to video here. It is not tutorial for my theme but the process is the same.
Theme is compatible with Recent Tweets Widget plugin. Plugin is used in demo site.
In search field (Plugins > Add New) insert 'Recent Tweets Widget' and Install plugin.
Plugin widget can be set in Appearance > Widegts:
Note!: You need to get "consumer and secret" codes for 'Recent Tweets Widget' widget:
You can easily create newsletter subscribe form with 'MailChimp for WordPress' Plugin: Plugin Homepage
Into search field (in Plugins > Add New) insert 'MailChimp for WordPress' and Install this plugin
Plugin can be set in MailChimp for WP section:
You can use this plugin in the classic editor for now. The plugin is not Gutenberg compatible yet. You can generate different shortcodes using 'Insert shortcode' button in all Post/Page screens:
Plugin page: Plugin Homepage
Into search field (in Plugins > Add New) insert 'Social Pug' and Install this plugin.
Plugin can be set in Settings > AddToAny:
Theme is compatible with Simple Share Buttons Adder too.
Plugin page: Plugin Homepage
Into search field (in Plugins > Add New) insert 'Contact Form 7' and Install this plugin
You can create own contact form(s) in main wp menu > Contact.
You can display created 'contact form' on any page using shortcode.
Please read plugin documetation for more info about this very flexible plugin.
Make sure that Somerville theme is installed and activated before XML import!
- In main theme package is attached XML file. Unzip this XML file.
- Go to Tools > Import; install and activate 'WordPress Importer' plugin,
- Find XML file on your computer and import XML file.
- Check "Download and import file attachments" option.
- XML file is bit bigger and sometimes (slow server etc.) needs to be imported more times (until 'Have Fun' message is shown).
After XML file import:
- set 'Home' page (with 'Builder' template) as front page (in Settings > Reading),
- Go to Apperance > Widgets and using drag widgets labeled as 'for homepage' into the 'Homepage Section', (more info here)
- save imported custom menus for 'locations' (in Appearance > Menus),
- footer and sidebar widgets can be set in Appearance > Widgets. In demo are used these widgets:
Due licenses all imported images are for testing purposes only and cannot be used on your live website!!!
You can download free photos for your commercial & personal works on sites like:
somerville.potfile. File is located in root theme folder inside 'lang' sub-folder:
somerville.potfile (line by line),
The filename of your .po / .mo file is crucial! Gettext uses the ISO 639 standard for language abbreviations and ISO 3166 for locales. If your translation is written in deutsch for example, your file name will look like de_DE.po. Capitalization is also important here. For a full list of language and country codes, check out these two links:
Once you save, POEdit by default automatically creates a .mo file alongside your .po file. Put these files into 'lang' folder.
Your internationalization is complete!
Once again, thank you so much for purchasing this theme.